THE INSPIRATION

OLD MOTHER’S CUPBOARD:
In 2012, I sent out the following email to my colleagues in hopes of giving something special to many people in honor of my fortieth birthday.  This email is the email that kicked off this movement.


THE EMAIL:
This April, I will have a milestone birthday.   Yippee! 

I remembered this kid in grade school (most definitely NOT me!) who used to bring gifts to his classmates on his birthday.   Admittedly, I really liked when he had a birthday.

I reflected upon my life and thought that there may be something I could give to the community this year.  Upon that reflection, I thought perhaps YOU WOULD BE ABLE TO JOIN ME.

I would like to DONATE CANNED GOODS to the TWO FOOD PANTRIES at The Brashear Association on the South Side.  Not one or two cans, but enough to feed, well, the WHOLE South Side, if possible.

That’s where your cupboards come into play.  I want you to join me in making a little room in your cupboards in order to help fill some others’ cupboards.

By the end of this week, you will see some boxes by the elevators that say “Old Mother’s Cupboard” where you may place your canned goods next to mine.

The Food Pantry Accepts Canned Goods Such As:

·         Soup
·         Beef Stew
·         Vegetables
·         Pasta sauce
·         Beans
·         Peanut Butter
·         Jelly
·         Canned fruit
·         Dry pasta
·         Dressings
·         Catsup
·         Mustard
·         Cereal
·         Stuffing mix
·         Mac and cheese

An Alternative to Canned Goods are these non-food items:

·         Diapers (any size)
·         Toothpaste
·         Toothbrushes
·         Sanitary Napkins



No comments:

Post a Comment